Monday 14 November 2016

Uniquely me - Alex Graham

I am
a confusion of cultures.
Uniquely me.
I think this is good
because I can
understand
the traveller, sojourner, foreigner,
the homesickness
that comes.
I think this is also bad
because I cannot
be understood
by the person who has sown and grown in one place.
They know not
the real meaning of homesickness
that hits me
now and then.
Sometimes I despair of
understanding them.

I am
an island
and
a United Nations.
Who can recognise either in me
but God?


By Alex Graham James
(Scamps, Scholars, and Saints, 1991).
As reproduced in “Third Culture Kids” by D. Pollock and R. Van Rekan.

This poem is about a type of person known as a "third culture kid". What do you think a third culture kid is?

What makes Alex feel this way?

What category are you in: the person that can understand Alex, or the person that cannot understand Alex? What puts you in either of these categories?

Is this a problem or a gift? Why?

How is this related to being internationally minded?

No comments:

Post a Comment